Wednesday, July 1, 2015

Pescados = Pecados‏


Hola familia y amigos!


I am now officially half way done with the MTC!

Happy 2nd birthday to the Mexico MTC! 50 years as a high school, and then 2 years as an MTC. This place has blessed a lot of lives!

Thanks so much for the mail! I got your letter, Mom, and I loved it! I am the only one in my district who has gotten any mail. The Elders wait outside the post office every day for the mail to come. Mail is such a big deal here!

I can't even describe to you all how excited I am for today to be P-day! It's by far my favorite!

The Spanish word for fish is pescado, and the word for sin is pecado. One of the Elders promised his investigator that through Christ, he could be cleansed from all of his fish! It was awesome, especially because I am afraid of fish, and I really think fish are equivalent to sin! I have no idea how to type a smiley face on a Spanish keyboard!
Today was especially awesome because we got to leave the CCM for the first time to go to the temple visitor center! It's kind of this legendary event that everyone looks foreward to, because it's the most exciting thing we do here! The temple is closed, but still beautiful! It's one of 4 temples where the Angel Moroni is holding the golden plates in his hands. How cool is that? The sister missionaries there are Native Spanish speakers who are learning English. It's kind of funny because that's the opposite of us!
The Elders want everyone to know that we had to bribe them in order to get this picture!  (Note from Nancy:  Notice the photo bomber in the background on the right.)
We didn't match on purpose...on Wednesdays we wear pink!


Driving around Mexico City makes me realize how grateful I am for my life back home. Mexico is a scary place, but the CCM is like an oasis among the chaos. It's really neat!



We also loved seeing DOGS around the city! We all talk about our dogs a lot. We miss them!

This past week, we were the only district in our branch. How lonely! We just got two new districts added on. One of the districts has identical twins who are companions! It freaks me out! We are officially the older missionaries! It feels so good to help the new missionaries because I know what it feels like to be new! A lot of the missionaries are really mean to new missionaries. When we were new, some elders told us to listen for gun shots as we are falling asleep. It's really just fireworks. Mexicans set them off all the time. They are crazy!

This week for our service project, we were assigned to help in the kitchens. We were supposed to wash dishes, but Estaban, our chef friend, let us help him make dessert instead. It was awesome! He tagged us on Instagram after, but I don't have one! Also, Estaban made our district an entire pumpkin pie! We had to eat it in a closet so nobody else would find out and ask questions, but it was awesome! We definatley made friends with the right people!

I am lucky enough to have an amazing pianist as my companion, and we are putting together a song for church on Sunday. She is playing and I am singing. Can't wait! We are also working on a musical number with some other girls in our Casa for an MTC wide devotional. The only problem is that we have NO time to practice. Mission life is so busy!

We are ALWAYS late to our Casas at night because our teachers like to go over. On Monday when we got back some Hermanas greeted us, told us to put on PJ's, and meet us in the living room for FHE! It was really fun. I love all of the girls in our casa, even though I don't see them much because we are never at home!

I recognize a lot of people at the CCM from LP, and BYU, and other things. What a small world!

On Sunday we were combined as a zone, and I had to give a talk...in Spanish! It was actually really awesome! They have us all write talks beforehand, and they pick don't tell us beforehand. It's like spiritual hunger games. I happened to get picked, and I nailed my talk. Don't get my wrong, I am really struggling with Spanish and most days I wish that I was going to Florida speaking English, but that day I conquered!

We listened to an awesome devotional by Elder Bednar this week. He talked about how whenever people say they have ancestors who were handcart pioneers he wants to reply with, that's great, but what have you done lately? Ouch, Elder Bednar! It just really got me thinking about why I am here. My Savior died for me. What have I done lately? 

Hermana Edwards, a sister in my district, and I got to teach a lesson on the Book of Mormon. It was awesome. We taught about 2 Nephi 4, and how even Nephi struggles and goes through hard times. My teacher brought up the examples of Moses, and Joshua. They were prophets, and they still felt inadequate at times. Moses told God that he was slow of speech, so he couldn't do what God asked of him. I am definatley slow of speech, and could use a ton of help from God!

Other random fact, one of the Elders in my district used to have a camel named Moses. He tells really good camel stories!

This is officially the longest I have every been apart from my family, thanks to BYU being 30 minutes away from my house! I miss you guys a ton, but instead of being homesick I am mostly just grateful for your examples and for the amazing times we have had!

Love you guys lots!

Until next week!

-Hermana Jones



No comments:

Post a Comment